Royal Hampshire County Hospital (RHCH)
Telephone: 01962 863535
Click here for directions
Click here for site map
Click here for a list of wards and their location
Click here for more detailed access information and images
The hospital is in Romsey Road, approximately a mile from Winchester city centre, and is signposted.
The hospital is approximately 20 minutes walk from the mainline train station. It is a steep, uphill walk from the station and the centre of Winchester, but a number of local buses stop by the hospital from the Broadway in Winchester.
The main bus station is situated opposite the Guildhall on the Broadway. You may also catch a bus from City Road/Rail station. Please check the Stagecoach Website for timetables.
Patients and visitors to Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester are reminded not to use the parking facilities of Hillier Garden Centre on Romsey Road. The Hillier's car park is for the exclusive use of their customers.
Patient parking is available in the following areas:
- Butterfield Wing - Level 5 and 6 of the multi-storey car park
- Brinton Wing - Level 5 and 6 of the multi-storey car park
- Nightingale Wing - Queens Road or Level 5 and 6 of the multi-storey car park
- Burrell Wing - Maternity or Queens Road car park
- Maternity - Maternity or Queens Road car park
- Outpatients/ENT - Level 5 and 6 of the multi-storey car park
- Up to 1 hour - £1.80
- 1 hour to 4 hours £3.00
- Above 4 hours £6.00
- Concessionary permit holders £1.40
Due to high demand for parking on site, if you have a planned appointment or scheduled visiting time at the Hospital, we strongly recommend using park and ride. The current cost is £3 per day (£2.50 after 10.30am). P&R operates six days a week. Further details below.
Concessionary / discounted parking
Regular patients and visitors are able to pay a lower parking rate. If you meet one of the following criteria, please speak to a member of staff in the department or ward you are visiting for more advice.
- Patients attending for chemotherapy.
- Patients/visitors attending every day after the initial week of attendance.
- Outpatients who have been attending for more than two weeks and who continue to attend at least twice a week thereafter with the same illness or condition.
- Visitors to patients being cared for in ICU or SCBU.
- Visitors to inpatients whose stay in hospital has been more than one week, providing they are visiting every day.
- Visitors to inpatients whose stay in hospital has been more than two weeks, providing they are visiting at least twice per week.
- Carers staying overnight with children who are inpatients (not Children's Outpatients).
Parking charge notices
Our Security team is responsible for patrolling car parks. Because we have limited parking space, it is important that only people having business at the hospital park on site.
Breach of parking conditions may lead to a £60 civil parking charge notice being issued. The reason for issue is always recorded and photographs of the vehicle are taken as evidence.
Winchester Park and Ride
There are three car parks off the M3 providing 780 spaces at Barfield and St Catherine’s, junction 10 and 864 spaces at South Winchester, junction 11.
The Park and Ride bus route from Barfield and St Catherine’s stops at The Castle (Hampshire County Council’s headquarters), and then along Romsey Road to the hospital and on to the South Winchester Park and Ride via Badger Farm. Visitors who park in the South Winchester Park and Ride can take the bus back along the same route, stopping at the hospital and beyond to Barfield and St Catherine's.
For further information (including routes) please visit Winchester Park and Ride website www.winchesterparkandride.co.uk
Updated: 08 July 2015