The first Hampshire County Hospital was founded in the centre of Winchester in 1736. It moved to another city centre site in 1759 and stayed there for more than a century. It moved to its present site in Romsey Road in 1868, with support and advice from Florence Nightingale, and was granted its Royal prefix by Queen Victoria.
Royal Hampshire County Hospital provides a full range of general hospital services including accident and emergency, general and specialist surgery, general medicine, intensive care, rehabilitation, chemotherapy, diagnostic services, out-patient clinics and paediatric care.
The site also houses Florence Portal House (which provides maternity, neonatal, breast screening and some gynaecology services) and an education centre.
Outpatients at Royal Hampshire County Hospital has moved to the Burrell Wing.