For clinical or technical enquiries, requests for urgent work, to arrange special tests, including clinical advice and interpretation.
|Dr Marianna Koperdanova, Consultant Haematologist, Clinical Lead||01256 319984|
|Dr Jenny Arnold, Consultant Haematologist||01962 824700|
|Dr Noel Ryman, Consultant Haematologist||01256 313297|
|Dr Katherine Smith, Consultant Haematologist||01256 319984|
|Donna Hodder, secretary||01256 313279|
|Helen Todd, secretary||01256 313282|
|Mark Sidwell, Blood Sciences Manager||01256 312752|
|Dr Isabella Lo, Consultant Haematologist||01256 313303|
|Dr Henna Wong, Consultant Haematologist, Clinical Lead||01256 313200|
|Stephen Knight, Blood Sciences Operations Manager (RHCH)||01962 824467|
|BNHH Haematology/Coagulation||01256 313291/2/4|
|BNHH Blood Transfusion||01256 313290|
|RHCH Haematology||01962 824460|
|RHCH Blood Transfusion enquiries||
Consultant clinical advice and interpretation is available 24 hours a day from the on-call Haematologist (contacted by bleep via the Hospital switchboard).
Clinical Biochemistry with Immunology
Our accreditation is limited to those activities described on our UKAS schedule of accreditation found here
The Clinical Biochemistry department provides a comprehensive diagnostic service which includes general screening for renal, liver, bone, cardiac and other disease groups through the use of highly automated analytical platforms. General chemistry services are provided 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
The immunology department provides a comprehensive diagnostic service which includes diagnosis of all types of allergy disorders and a range of autoimmune diseases.
Clinical biochemistry with immunology is “a UKAS accredited Medical Laboratory No.8082”. For a list of currently accredited tests please refer to the schedule of accreditation as published on the UKAS Medical laboratory website.
The laboratory employs a wide range of analytical techniques including immunoassay, spectrophotometry, capillary zone electrophoresis, immunofixation, immunotyping, immunoturbidimetry, and iontophoresis/conductivity and osmometry. There are several sections within the laboratory, which include:
- Automated biochemistry – renal, liver, bone, cardiac, lipid, endocrine, anaemia, oncology, sepsis, and other metabolic tests
- Automated drugs– therapeutic drug monitoring and antibiotics testing
- Automated immunology – allergy, autoimmune testing and coeliac screening
- Manual immunology autoimmune testing
- Manual section – xanthochromia, osmolality and sweat testing
- Protein section capillary zone electrophoresis, immunofixation/immunotyping, serum-free light chains analysis and cryoglobulinaemia and cryofibrinogenaemia testing
The department comprises consultants, clinical scientists, biomedical scientists, associate practitioners, and medical laboratory assistants who are all involved in providing a high-quality, fast and cost-effective service.
The consultant haematologists deal with general haematology and oncology referrals. Referrals may be made by letter, fax, email or, if urgent, by telephone via the consultant’s secretary.
Haematology and Blood Transfusion are “a UKAS accredited Medical Laboratory No. 8082" For the most up to date currently accredited tests please refer to the schedule of accreditation as published on the UKAS Medical laboratory website.
The haematology department provides a comprehensive clinical advisory and analytical service:
- routine haematology includes full blood counts, ESR’s, glandular fever screening, warfarin monitoring, coagulation screening and D-dimer for exclusion of VTE
- specialist haematology includes blood cell morphology, haemoglobinopathies, cell markers, malaria parasite identification
- emergency investigations, are rapidly available by prior arrangement on a 24-hour basis
A full list of the investigations provided by the department can be found in the Pathology User handbook.
Further investigations are undertaken following abnormal results and screening for atypical diseases.
We participate in National External Quality Assurance Schemes encompassing the analytical work of the department where available.