Royal Hampshire County Hospital provides a full range of general hospital services including accident and emergency, general and specialist surgery, general medicine, intensive care, rehabilitation, chemotherapy, diagnostic services, out-patient clinics and paediatric care.
The site also houses Florence Portal House (which provides maternity, neonatal, breast screening and some gynaecology services) and an education centre.
Royal Hampshire County Hospital runs an Outpatient Department from Monday till Friday located on Level B of Burrell Wing.
The hospital is in Romsey Road, approximately a mile from Winchester city centre, and is signposted.
The hospital is approximately 20 minutes walk from the mainline train station. It is a steep, uphill walk from the station and the centre of Winchester, but a number of local buses stop by the hospital from the Broadway in Winchester.
The main bus station is situated opposite the Guildhall on the Broadway. You may also catch a bus from City Road/Rail station.
Please check the Stagecoach Website for timetables.
There are three car parks off the M3 providing 780 spaces at Barfield and St Catherine’s, junction 10 and 864 spaces at South Winchester, junction 11.
The Park and Ride bus route from Barfield and St Catherine’s stops at The Castle (Hampshire County Council’s headquarters), and then along Romsey Road to the hospital and on to the South Winchester Park and Ride via Badger Farm. Visitors who park in the South Winchester Park and Ride can take the bus back along the same route, stopping at the hospital and beyond to Barfield and St Catherine's.
For further information (including routes) please visit Winchester Park and Ride website.
Patients and visitors to Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester are reminded not to use the parking facilities of Hillier Garden Centre on Romsey Road. The Hillier's car park is for the exclusive use of their customers.
Parking space at the RHCH is extremely limited; where possible, we encourage patients and visitors to make use of the local park and ride facilities located at Barfield/St Catherine's and South Winchester which have a direct bus transfer to the Hospital. Details about the service are available from www.winchesterparkandride.co.uk.
Patient parking is available in the following areas:
- Butterfield Wing - Level 6 of the multi-storey car park (barrier controlled, pay on exit)
- Brinton Wing - Level 6 of the multi-storey car park (barrier controlled, pay on exit)
- Nightingale Wing - Queens Road (pay and display) or Level 6 of the multi-storey car park (barrier controlled, pay on exit)
- Burrell Wing - Maternity (pay and display) or Queens Road car park (pay and display)
- Maternity - Maternity (pay and display) or Queens Road car park (pay and display)
- Outpatients/ENT - Level 6 of the multi-storey car park (barrier controlled, pay on exit
|Duration of Stay||Parking charge|
|Up to 30 minutes||Free|
|30 minutes – 1 hour||£1.80|
|1 hour – 1 hour 30 minutes||£2.80|
|1 hour 30 minutes – 2 hours 30 minutes||£3.80|
|2 hours 30 minutes – 3 hours 30 minutes||£4.70|
|3 hours 30 minutes – 4 hours 30 minutes||£5.70|
|4 hours 30 minutes – 5 hours 30 minutes||£6.70|
|5 hours 30 minutes – 6 hours 30 minutes||£7.70|
|6 hours 30 minutes – 8 hours||£8.70|
|8 hours – 24 hours||£10 for 24 hour period|
Free parking is available for the following patients and visitors at all three of our hospitals:
- Patients attending for chemotherapy
- Patients/visitors attending every day after one week of attendance
- Outpatients who have been attending for more than two weeks and continue to attend at least twice a week with the same illness or condition
- Visitors to patients being cared for in the Intensive Care Unit or the neonatal unit
- Visitors to inpatients whose stay in hospital has been more than one week, providing they are visiting every day
- Visitors to inpatients whose stay in hospital has been more than two weeks, providing they are visiting at least twice per week
- Carers staying overnight with children who are inpatients
- Relatives or carers of patients who are receiving end of life care.
Disabled badge holders – Parking is free for disabled badge holders in marked disabled bays which are located close to the hospital buildings. Disabled badge holders should clearly display their blue badge.
Our security team is responsible for patrolling car parks. Because we have limited parking space, it is important that only people having business at the hospital park on site.
Breach of parking conditions may lead to a £60 civil penalty charge notice being issued. The reason for issue is always recorded and photographs of the vehicle are taken as evidence. The charge is reduced to £30 if paid within 14 days of issue.